Early Childhood Center (ECC)
When applying to Foundation Class，Junior Kindergarten or Kindergarten, students must be 3, 4 or 5 years old respectively by September 30 of the enrollment year. Students will be evaluated by the ECC teacher or principal to determine school readiness.
Students must be six years old by September 30 of the enrollment year and demonstrate grade level English fluency determined by a school-administered entrance exam, as well as interview with a grade level teacher. Final approval will be determined by the principal. Current SYIS kindergarten students will be promoted to 1st grade based on ECC recommendation.
Grades 2 – 12
Students must demonstrate grade level English fluency determined by a school-administered entrance exam, as well as interview with a grade level teacher. Final approval will be determined by the principal.
SYIS is not able to meet the needs of students with severe learning disabilities. Parents should inform the school if their child has a known learning disability. SYIS will make every effort to meet the needs of each child it admits.
We believe that parents are ultimately responsible for the education of their children. Cooperation between the school and the home is necessary to ensure that students reach their fullest potential. As a result, and in the best interest of the student, SYIS has established the following guidelines concerning residency of parents:
- At least one parent or guardian must have full-time residency in Shenyang or a nearby community
- Guardians are only permitted to function in lieu of parents in unusual circumstances with the permission of the school administration
Statement of Non-Discrimination
The Shenyang International School does not discriminate on the basis of race/ethnic origin or gender in its admissions or in any school programs.
Priority for enrollment is:
1. Children of SYIS staff and associates
2. Children who speak English fluently
3. Brothers and sisters of students already attending SYIS
4. Children who do not speak English fluently
If a student meets the necessary requirements, but there is no space available, he/she may be placed on a wait list if the parents so desire.
- The enrollment priority criteria applies to wait list.
- The wait list is cleared at the end of the school year.
- A wait-listed student will need to be re-tested if more than one semester has passed from the time of acceptance to the time when a spot becomes available. If the student fails the test, he or she will be denied entrance and the wait list will therefore become void.
SYIS encourages parents to look for other educational options while their child is on the waiting list.
Tuition Fees & Policies